Over the past decade, we’ve placed dozens of CUNY students from diverse educational backgrounds in paid internships. Our interns are active in research projects focusing on maximizing the efficiency of building systems, improving operations & maintenance, and developing and analyzing models of energy usage that help the City of New York assess its carbon reduction efforts – to name just a few!
We are proud to say our interns “don’t fetch coffee,” and many have gone on to full-time staff positions at major real estate and engineering firms.
A CUNY BPL internship begins with specialized training. Since 2012, we’ve offered a free, 3-day Energy Boot Camp for CUNY students who are interested in BPL internships and careers in the fields of energy efficiency & energy management services; corporate sustainability; facilities management & operations; engineering; and public policy.
Topics covered include:
- Basics of building sciences, building systems, and building envelopes
- Energy efficiency in buildings
- How to benchmark energy in a building
- How to use data loggers and other field equipment
- Working with energy data
- Energy auditing
Guest lecturers have included representatives from:
- NYC Department of Citywide Administrative Services
- NYC Mayor’s Office of Sustainability
- Energywiz Inc.
- ENERACTIVE Solutions
- KGS Buildings
- CCNY Electrical & Mechanical Engineering students
Energy Boot Camp Application
At this time, there are no sessions planned for this year. We will post additional information as it becomes available.